Monday, August 10, 2009

Niagara Wine Tour Afterglow

Prepping cinnamon buns bleary eyed from a dinner party the night before, where the vino was poured by the litre, I was impressed I had all my digits left when Julye and me hit the road.

The Wineries (I apologize for not describing the wines, but I was the DD)

Chateau De Charmes
We hit the ground running with this as our first stop. Impressive in stature and detail, the estate’s happening was deconstructed by our host. The tour included an overview of the winery, production facilities and an instructive tasting.
Overall bus intoxication rating: 0

Cat Tail Creek
Being the purveyor of one of my favourite wines, their 2007 Merlot, I was excited to see the facility and people behind it. Being one of the oldest wine growers in the Niagara region, but only having become an actual wine maker in the last 4 years they bring the energy of a new venture with the knowledge of many years of farming.
Overall bus intoxication rating: 4

Henry of Pelham
This tour turned out to be my favourite as their new wine cellar is visually stunning. Located 20 feet under the surface with 20 feet high ceilings it has a feeling of the Fort Knox of wine. After a few vintages were passed around we were off to a light lunch at their “ballroom”.
Overall bus intoxication rating: 6

Flatrock Winery
The gradual slope of the vineyards below eventually melted into trees, which gave way to lake Ontario. With the winery situated atop the hill, it proves to be an inspiring place to drink, and I can only imagine work!
Overall bus intoxication rating: 7.5


My wrong turns: (At the behest of Julye. Keeping in mind I drew a map)…
Missed the Exit at Glendale Road
Wrong turn off Glendale Road
Wrong turn on Pelham Road
Wrong turn off Pelham Road
ANOTHER wrong turn on Pelham Road
Wrong turn into someone’s driveway.


What’s cooking:

  • $3 Recession Pasta Tuesday (The 11th) will be Fettuccini with roasted chicken breast and capers in a white sauce.

  • My Green Lasagne will be available later in the week.


  • Events:
  • Prince Edward County trip now has 4 stops! Norman Hardy has jumped aboard! We couldn’t be more excited. We have also secured a coach with washroom facilities for the long ride. The trip is on the 6th of September so buy your ticket now.
  • The in house Wine Tasting of August 12th still has spots left.



  • David Berman
    Food Geek

    No comments:

    Post a Comment